More than eight in ten Americans believe Israel has a responsibility to protect its citizens and strike back.
82% support Israel sending troops into Gaza to attempt to free hostages and eliminate the Hamas terrorist threat.
Overwhelming majority holds Hamas responsible for humanitarian challenges in Gaza and holds the terrorist organization responsible for using civilians as human shields.
This morning, as tens of thousands of Americans from all walks of life prepare to join “March for Israel” at the National Mall, March for Israel released a new HarrisX poll of U.S. adults showing widespread support for Israel and condemnation of Hamas. The survey also found that a majority of Americans hold Hamas responsible for triggering a humanitarian crisis in Gaza.
“The vast majority of Americans stand in solidarity with Israel,” said Eric D. Fingerhut, President and C.E.O., Jewish Federations of North America. “People in the U.S. condemn Hamas and support the Israeli effort to bring hostages home. The March for Israel will send a message to the world that Americans overwhelmingly support Israel, are ready to stand up against Antisemitism and express support for efforts to free the hostages.”
“At this critical time, American support for Israel is unwavering,” said William Daroff, C.E.O., Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations. “People from all across the country are joining our calls to combat antisemitism and support the immediate and safe release of hostages held by Hamas terrorists. That is what the March for Israel is all about.”
The survey was commissioned by the Jewish Federations of North America and the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations.
Key findings include:
- Americans support Israel’s efforts to root out Hamas and bring hostages home.
- More than eight in ten Americans believe Israel has a responsibility to protect its citizens and strike back.
- 83% of Americans believe the October 7th attack was a terrorist attack that indiscriminately targeted civilians.
- 86% of Americans believe that the attack on October 7th was an unjustified act of terror.
- 67% of Americans believe that Israel must send troops to Gaza to reunite hostages with their families.
- 67% of Americans believe Israel should continue military efforts until Hamas is defeated and the hostages are released.
Americans hold Hamas responsible for the suffering of Palestinians.
- Eight in ten Americans believe Hamas is primarily responsible for putting civilians in Gaza in harm’s way.
- 77% of Americans believe Hamas triggered the humanitarian crisis in Gaza.
- 83% of Americans felt that Hamas is using the Palestinian people as human shields.
Americans feel a special connection with Israel and an aide package.
- 76% of Americans feel that the country shares common values with Israel.
- 58% of voters support the $14 billion aide package under consideration in Congress.
The survey was conducted online from November 11-12 among 1,331 U.S. adults by public opinion firm HarrisX. The sampling margin of error of this poll is plus or minus 2.7 percentage points. The results reflect a nationally representative sample of registered voters. Results were weighted for age, gender, region, race/ethnicity, income, where necessary to align them with their actual proportions in the population.
Photo Credit: Chris Williams for Jewish Federations of North America