Click here to see this listing on JewishJobs.com and to apply.
Assistant Director at Camp Wise
The Assistant Director is part of the year-round professional camp management team that creates a vision for, designs, and implements the Camp Wise experience for campers, camper families, staff members, and alumni. The Assistant Director assists in the overall management of camper program and the year-round camper experience, staff training and development, budget supervision, and marketing.
CAMP WISE MISSION
Camp Wise provides a friendly, supportive, and cooperative atmosphere that fosters individual growth at each camper’s own pace. Campers are encouraged to learn new skills and master old ones, to make decisions, to take responsibility, to be expressive, to live with others, and to have fun. Complemented by our Jewish environment, campers develop a deeper understanding of and appreciation for Jewish heritage and traditions while also developing a true sense of community. Camp Wise is committed to making sure that every camper leaves with a greater sense of self-esteem and self-confidence; and with memories that will last a lifetime.
Camp Wise, the nationally recognized Jewish overnight camp of the Mandel JCC of Cleveland is expanding our year-round team to carry out our 2020 vision. Camp Wise, known as the Home of Happiness, has been providing meaningful, life-changing opportunities for kids to learn and grow alongside each other for over 111 summers on our 325-acre wooded campsite and private lake. We are now seeking candidates who have a passion for excellence, are hardworking, outgoing, and can serve as a strong, positive role model for children and staff – we strongly encourage you to apply to join the Camp Wise leadership team. While summers will be spent at Camp in Chardon, our year-round offices are based at the Mandel JCC, conveniently located just 30 minutes from camp in Beachwood, Ohio.
YEAR ROUND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Coordinate administrative functions for all camper recruitment and retention initiatives.
• Manage summer camp and retreat center budget.
• Maintain an engaging and interactive online and through print/mail marketing.
• Supervise on-site rental groups including food service, maintenance, and programming.
• Summer Camp Program
o Oversee the development of, manage, and maintain all summer program schedules.
o As part of the summer senior management team, oversee the well-being and care of all campers and staff.
o Manage camp visitors, including visitor schedule and guided tours.
• Summer Camp Operations
o Serve as the liaison with international staffing organizations to manage the process of screening and hiring international staff.
o In collaboration with the Camp Director and Infirmary Manager, manage the care of dietary needs and special meals.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
• Strong presentation, leadership, and motivation skills
• Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office and social media applications like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
• Strong knowledge of Jewish culture, heritage, and traditions.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Ability to communicate clearly to both children and adults.
• Proven writing and interpersonal communication skills.
• Strong decision making and problem solving skills.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Recreation, Jewish Studies, Psychology, Social Work, or Business.
• Three to five years of experience in operations management in a camping or similar environment.
• Must be able to lift and/or move up to 25 lbs.
• Ability to work well under pressure to manage multiple concurrent tasks, re-prioritize work, and be flexible while meeting tight deadlines.
• Full-time residence at Camp during the summer months and when there is an onsite rental program.